Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fire destroys largest collection of serpents in Brazil

I have just read this news about a fire in Instituto Butantan, an important research center on venomous animals in São Paulo, Brazil. The fire started this morning at the herpetology building, burning the more than 70 thousand species preserved in formaldehyde. The staff, snakes, spiders and scorpions had to be evacuated from the building.

This is particularly sad for me, I enjoyed the place when I was a kid - visiting the snake pit - and many years later when I had classes there (in another building) with Isaias Raw.

(via @calsaverini)



(just an addendum: AFAIK the snake pit (pictured above) was not affected by the fire)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Before writing, please read carefully my policy for comments. Some comments may be deleted.

Please do not include links to commercial or unrelated sites in your comment or signature, or I'll flag it as SPAM.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails